Christoph Miltenberger was a widower with two sons when he married Maria Christina Herlein on 26 February 1764 in the Catholic Church in Otterberg, about 7 kilometers north of Kaiserlautern, in what today is the German state of Rheinland-Pfalz.
Christoph and Christina had a daughter, Maria Gertruda, who was baptized on 31 December 1764 in St. Andreas Catholic Church in Landstuhl about 10 kilometers west of Kaiserlautern before they immigrated to Russia as colonists recruited by De Beuve & Precourt.
Christoph Mildenberger, a farmer, his wife Maria Christina, and children (Johann Jakob, age 11; Maria Gertrude, age 1½) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the snow-brig Der Merkur under the command of Skipper Johann Heinrich Abelmann.
Christoph Mildenberger, his wife Christina, and children (Johann Jakob, age 12; Friedrich Peter, age ¼) are recorded on the 1767 census of Sewald in Household No. 30. They had settled there on 20 August 1767. Recorded with them is a 16-year-old boy named Johann Georg [surname not recorded]. It is not known how he fits into this family.
By the time of Sewald 1798 Census, Christoph and his descendants are recorded in Households No. Sd12 and Sd13. Another descendant moved to the nearby colony of Köhler and is recorded there in Household No. Kl160.
Franz Mildenberger, son of Jakob Mildenberger, is recorded on the 1834 census of Rothammel in Household No. 4.
Today, this surname is generally spelled as Mildenberger.
- 1834 Rothammel Census (Household No. 4).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Kl60, Sd12.
- Parish records of Landstuhl (LDS Film No. 488734).
- Parish records of Otterberg (LDS Film No. 488739).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 173.
- Pleve, Igor. List of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3349.
Entry from the parish register recording the marriage of Christoph Miltenberger & Maria Christina Herlein on 26 February 1764.
Source: Brent Mai.