Christoph Miltenberger was a widower with two sons when he married Maria Christina Herlein on 26 February 1764 in the Catholic Church in Otterberg, about 7 kilometers north of Kaiserlautern, in what today is the German state of Rheinland-Pfalz.
Christoph and Christina had a daughter, Maria Gertruda, who was baptized on 31 December 1764 in St. Andreas Catholic Church in Landstuhl about 10 kilometers west of Kaiserlautern before they immigrated to Russia as colonists recruited by De Beuve & Precourt.
Christoph Mildenberger, a farmer, his wife Maria Christina, and children (Johann Jakob, age 11; Maria Gertrude, age 1½) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766 aboard the snow-brig Der Merkur under the command of Skipper Johann Heinrich Abelmann.
Christoph Mildenberger, his wife Christina, and children (Johann Jakob, age 12; Friedrich Peter, age ¼) are recorded on the 1767 census of Sewald in Household No. 30. They had settled there on 20 August 1767. Recorded with them is a 16-year-old boy named Johann Georg [surname not recorded]. It is not known how he fits into this family.
By the time of Sewald 1798 Census, Christoph and his descendants are recorded in Households No. Sd12 and Sd13. Another descendant moved to the nearby colony of Köhler and is recorded there in Household No. Kl160.
The 1834 census of Sewald in Household No. 28 records that Johannes Mildenberger relocated to Hildmann in 1823, but he does not appear on the 1834 census of Hildmann. He and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Leichtling with a note that they arrived there in 1833 [so whether he went to Hildmann between 1823 and 1833 is unknown].
Franz Mildenberger, son of Jakob Mildenberger, is recorded on the 1834 census of Rothammel in Household No. 4.
Jakob Mildenberger, son of Jakob Mildenberger of Sewald, is recorded on the 1834 census of Preuss in Household No. 15.
Today, this surname is generally spelled as Mildenberger.
- 1834 Köhler Census (Households No. 18, 86, 136, 186).
- 1834 Leichtling Census (Household No. 69).
- 1834 Preuss Census (Household No. 15).
- 1834 Rothammel Census (Households No. 4, 30, 57).
- 1834 Sewald Census (Household No. 28).
- 1850 Köhler Census (Households No. 23, 130, 131, 190, 257).
- 1850 Preuss Census (Household No. 18).
- 1857 Köhler Census (Households No. 23, 134, 135, 198, 271).
- 1857 Preuss Census (Household No. 22).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Kl60, Sd12.
- Parish records of Landstuhl (LDS Film No. 488734).
- Parish records of Otterberg (LDS Film No. 488739).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 173.
- Pleve, Igor. List of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #3349.
Entry from the parish register recording the marriage of Christoph Miltenberger & Maria Christina Herlein on 26 February 1764.
Source: Brent Mai.