Nikolaus Quast, a farmer, and his wife Christina arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax.
Nicolaus Quast and his wife Charlotta are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Kaneau on 7 June 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 18 along with their newborn daughter, Maria.
Nikolaus Quast and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Kaneau in Household No. Kn23.
The death of Nikolaus Quast in 1829 is recorded onthe 1834 census of Kaneau in Household No. 7.
In 1789, Christoph Lebrecht Quast, son of Nikolaus Quast, moved from Kaneau to Ernestinendorf.
Christoph Quast from Kaneau and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Ernestinendorf in Household No. Er09.
Christoph Quast and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Ernestinendorf in Household No. 8.
The death of Christoph Quast in 1841 is recorded on the 1850 census of Ernestinendorf in Household No. 10.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Nikolaus Quast came from the German region of Meinefeld while the 1767 census records that he came from the German district of Moitzfeld.
- 1834 Ernestinendorf Census (Household No. 8).
- 1834 Kaneau Census (Households No. 7, 51, 74).
- 1850 Ernestinendorf Census (Households No. 10, 11).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Er09, Kn23, Mv1156.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 2 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2001): 247.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1256.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #0529-0530.