Christoph Ries (born in 1731) and his wife Anna Guntin (born in 1733) lived in the village of Wössingen.
They and their son Urban (born in 1749) immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein) and settled in the colony of Neuduvenstedt.
The marriage of Johann Urban Ries, son of Christoph Ries & Anna Gunther, to Christina Diesler, daughter of Jacob & Susanna Diesler, is recorded in Bünsdorf on 27 June 1765. Christina died in 1766.
Christoph Ries, a farmer, his wife Anna, and children (Johann Ulrich, age 17; Jakobina, age 9; Christoph, age 7) arrived from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum aboard the galliot Adler on 3 June 1766. Arriving with them was also Urban Ries, a single farmer.
They settled in the colony of Dinkel on 27 July 1767. Christoph Ries, his wife Anna, and children (Johann Ulrich, age 18; Christiana, age 11; Christoph, age 9) are recorded on the 1767 census of Dinkel in Household No. 39. Urban Ries and his [new] wife Maria Magdalena [surname not recorded] are recorded there in Household No. 40.
Johann Ulrich Ries and his family are recorded on the 1811 census of Dinkel in Household No. 25 along with a note that his son Johann Konrad relocated to the colony of Straub in 1805.
[Johann] Konrad Ries from Dinkel and his son Georg Heinrich (age ¼) are recorded on the 1811 census of Straub in Household No. 59 along with a note that he had arrived in Straub from Dinkel in 1805.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Christoph Ries came from the German region of Durlach. The 1767 census records that he came from the German village of Wesin [Wössingen] in the Baden-Durlach region.
- 1811 Dinkel Census (Household No. 25).
- 1811 Straub Census (Household No. 59).
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-1345, B-1346.
- Lang, Gerhard. German Colonists of Denmark on the Volga.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Dn19, Dn25, Dn26, Dn33.
- Parish register of Bünsdorf.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 307.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #652, #653.