Johann Valentin Romig, son of Johann Philipp Romig and Margaretha Zimmermann, was born 20 December 1718 in Habitzheim, Hessen-Darmstadt, and died after 1775 in Russia. He married 5 November 1740 in Spachbrücken, Kr. Dieburg, Hessen-Darmstadt to Maria Sophia Maÿ, daughter of Johann Nicolaus Maÿ and Anna Maria Göckel. She was born 7 July 1718 in Spachbrücken, was baptized there on 10 July 1718. Johann Valentin & Maria Sophia had 8 children whose births are recorded in Spachbrücken: (1) Georg Michael, born 2 September 1741; (2) Sybilla Maria, born 15 September 1745; (3) Anna Katharina, born 5 December 1748; (4 & 5) (twins) Johann Peter & Johann Heinrich, born 14 May 1752; (6) Johann Heinrich, born 12 December 1753; (7) Johann Dietrich, born 25 February 1757; and (8) Anna Margaretha, born 20 October 1760.
Johann Valentin's older brother, Johann Georg (born 15 September 1698), had a daughter named Anna Katharina who was born in Spachbrücken on 17 January 1728.
The Valentin Romig family (including niece Anna Katharina, above) immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein), arriving in Flensburg on 9 June 1762. They deserted the Danish colonies on 3 May 1765 and joined the migration to Russia.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Grimm where they are recorded on the 1775 census in Households No. 18 & 31.
Niece Anna Katharina Romig had married Johannes Schuchmann who had also immigrated to Denmark. They also migrated to Russia. She later remarried to Jakob Tiede, and they are recorded on the 1775 census of Grimm in Household No. 68. [Age of this Anna Katharina Romig is off by 10 years, so it is possible that the wrong niece of Valentin Romig has been identified.]
In 1790, Adolf Romig moved from Grimm to Shcherbakovka.
The death of Valentin Ramig from Grimm in 1856 is recorded on the 1857 census of Erlenbach in Household No. 57.
Maria Sophia Maÿ is the sister of Heinrich Michael Maÿ whose descendants also immigrated to Russia.
- 1775 Grimm Census (Households No. 18 & 31).
- 1857 Erlenbach Census (Household No. 57).
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-1366, B-1367.
- Kohl, Gunnar and Helmut Ramge. Familienbuch Spachbrücken (Darmstadt: Deutsche Ortssippenbücher, 2001): 412.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Gm009, Gm131, Gm169, Sv53, Mv0770.
- Parish records of Spachbrücken (LDS Intl Film #1190550).