Johann Georg Rothermel, son of Peter & Anna Catharina Rothermel, was born in Hammelbach (northeast of Weinheim) on 23 September 1713 and baptized on 28 September 1713 in nearby Wald-Michelbach. He married on 13 February 1741 in Wald-Michelbach to Eva Margaretha Erhard. She had been born 14 October 1714 in Lichtenklingen.
They have five children whose baptisms are recorded in Wald-Michelbach: (1) Georg Peter, born 4 February 1745, baptized 7 February 1745; (2) Eva Catharina, born 28 July 1747, baptized 30 July 1747; (3) Georg Leonhard, born 14 March 1749, baptized 16 March 1749; (4) Johann Georg, born 6 October 1751, baptized 8 October 1751; and (5) Anna Margaretha, born 3 December 1756, baptized 5 December 1756.
The Rothermel family immigrated first to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein) and then on to Russia in 1763.
They arrived in the colony of Anton on 7 September 1764. They are recorded there on the 1767 census in Households No. 6 (Georg), No. 16 (Peter), and No. 24 (Leonhard).
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-1379.
- Lang, Gerhard. German Colonists of Denmark on the Volga.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): An16, An23, An27.
- Parish records for Wald-Michelbach (LDS Film No. 1340338).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 53, 56, & 60.