Johann Jacob Sauerbrey, son of Johannes & Maria Catharina Sauerbrey, was baptized on 7 October 1708 in the Evangelical Church of Ruit, today part of the town of Ostfildern, 12 kilometers southeast of Stuttgart.
On 27 January 1733 in Ruit he married Margaretha Volmer, daughter of Johann Christoph Volmar & Christina Catharina Borress. They had seven children baptized in Ruit: (1) Johann Christoph, born on 17 April 1735; (2) Agnes Regina, baptized on 23 August 1737; (3) Eva Margaretha, baptized on 11 November 1739; (4) Anna Maria, baptized on 17 October 1742; (5) Johanna, born on 1 December 1744; (6) Margaretha Barbara, baptized on 27 April 1747; and (7) Susanna Dorothea, born on 23 February 1750. Daughter Agnes Regina (recorded as Agnes Catharina) married Jacob Besser on 13 April 1760 in Leimen, 50 kilometers northwest of Heilbronn.
Johann Jacob Sauerbrey, his wife, and six of their children emigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein) along with the daughter who had married Jacob Besser. They departed from Altona, Duchy of Holstein, on 16 May 1760, and arrived in Fridericia, Jutland, on 25 May 1760. A few days later, on 10 June 1760, Johann Jacob's wife died. He remarried to Anna Elisabetha Attichin on 2 December 1760 in Kolding, Denmark. Johann Andreas Saurbrei, son of Johann Jacob and Elisabeth was baptized in Vorasse, Denmark, on 31 August 1761.
The family is last recorded among the Danish colonies on 31 December 1764. They joined the migration to Russia and settled in the Volga German colony of Hussenbach.
The 1798 census of Hussenbach records, son Andreas (who had been born in Denmark) in Household No. Hs046 and daughter Eva Maria (also born in Denmark) in Household No. Hs108.
- Eichhorn, Alexander. The immigration of German colonists to Denmark and their subsequent emigration to Russia in the years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Steinmeier, 2012): 241, 573, 676, & 686.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Hs046.
- Nakaji, Susan Hopp. "Reconstructed First Settlers List for Hussenbach," (August 2014): 15.
- Parish register of Leimen (LDS Film No. 1272781).
- Parish register of Kolding, Denmark (LDS Film No. 053551).
- Parish register of Ruit (LDS Film No. 1192063).
- Parish register of Vorasse, Denmark.
Susan Hopp Nakaji
Zelda Fullmer Zwahlen
Entry in Kolding, Denmark, recording the death of Margaretha Sauerbrey on 10 June 1760.
Source: Wayne Bonner.
Entry from the parish register of Ruit recording on 27 January 1733 the marriage of Jacob Sauerbrey & Margaretha Vollmer.
Source: Wayne Bonner.