Johann Albert Schäfer, son of Johann & Maria Christina Schäfer, was baptized on 9 June 1728 in the Heiliggeist Evangelical Church of Heidelberg. He married to Anna (Maria) Katharina Teychellampf, daughter of Philipp Wilhelm Teychellampf, on 23 January 1761 in the Evangelical Church of Gaugrehweiler, which is a municipality 93 kilometers northwest of Heidelberg.
They had two sons whose baptisms are recorded in Gaugrehweiler: (1) Johann Christian Wilhelm, baptized on 28 December 1761; and (2) Michael Friedrich Anton, baptized on 29 October 1764.
Albert Schäfer, a rope maker, his wife Anna Katharina, and sons (Christian Wilhelm, age 6; Michael Friedrich, age 2) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 13 September 1766 aboard the hooker Die Jungfer Dietrika under the command of Skipper Christian Korsholm.
Albertus Schäffer [sic], his wife Catarina, and son Christian Wilhelm (age 7) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Albert Schäfer, a weaver (Weber), his wife Anna Katharina, and son Christian Wilhelm (age 7) are recorded on the 1767 census of Stephan in Household No. 16. The had settled in Stephan on 24 August 1767.
Christian Schäfer and his family (sons: Johann Franz, age 9; Johann Nikolaus, age 7; Friedrich, age 2; Georg Adam, age 2) are recorded on the 1798 census of Stephan in Household No. Sp28.
The death of Christian Schäfer in 1817 is recorded on the 1834 census of Stephan in Household No. 50.
Georg Adam Schäfer, son of Christian Schäfer, is recorded on the 1834 census of Stephan in Household No. 50 along with a note that he relocated to the colony of Franzosen in 1824.
Nikolaus Schäfer, presumed son of Albert Schäfer, moved to Balzer in 1796 and is recorded there in Household No. Bz62 on the 1798 Census.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Albert Schäfer was a rope maker from the German region of Pfalz while the 1767 census records that he was a weaver (Weber) from the German town of Heidelberg.
- 1834 Stephan Census (Household No. 50).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz062, Sp27, Sp28, Sp35, Mv2849.
- Parish records of Gaugrehweiler (LDS Film No. 193857).
- Parish records of Heidelberg (LDS Film No. 1189244).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 224.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5731.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #2003-2005.