Schleining / Schleuning (Norka)
The parish register of St. Jacob's Lutheran Church in Lübeck records the marriage of Johann Kaspar Schleuning, tailor (Schneider) from the area of Stolberg, and Elisabeth Gebel [sic], from the area of Hessen-Darmstadt, on 11 July 1766.
Johann Kaspar Schleuning and his wife Elisabeth [Schneider] arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 29 August 1766 aboard the ship Apollo under the command of Skipper Detlov Merberg. Elisabeth Schneider's parents are also recorded on this ship.
They settled in the Volga German colony of Norka on 15 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 117 along with his mother-in-law Elisabeth [Schneider].
Kaspar Schleuning, his wife Elisabeth Margaretha, children (Johannes, age 8; Kunigunda, age 6; Johann Heinrich, age 5; Peter, age 4; Christina, age ½), and Elisabeth's mother, Katharina Elisabeth Schneider, are recorded on the 1775 census of Norka in Household No. 171.
Kaspar Schleuning, his wife Elisabeth Margaretha Schneider, and their children are recorded on the 1798 census of Norka in Household No. Nr179.
It is not known whether the Elisabeth Gebel recorded as Kaspar Schleuning's wife in the Lübeck marriage register is the same woman as the Elisabeth Schneider with whom he arrived in Oranienbaum. Perhaps Gebel is the surname of a previous husband.
The Oranienbaum passenger list records that Johann Kaspar Schleuning was a tailor while the 1767 census records that he was a farmer. Both documents record that he came from the German district of Stolberg.
- 1775 Norka Census (Household No. 171).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Nr084, Nr179, Nr180.
- Mai, Brent Alan and Dona Reeves-Marquardt. German Migration to the Russian Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 2003): #256.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 260.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #5198.