There are several Schneider families that arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 2 July 1772 aboard a ship under the command of Skipper Hartwig. They settled in the Volga German colony of Pobochnaya on 4 July 1773.
Three of these Schneider families came from the German village of Niedermittlau. Their relationship to each other, if any, needs further research.
(1) Johann Heinrich Schneider, son of Wilhelm Schneider, was born 12 March 1701 and baptized 20 March 1701. Johann Heinrich married on 12 February 1739 in Niedermittlau to Susanna Engel, widow of Heinrich Nachgesell.
Johann Heinrich and Susanna had five children born and baptized in Niedermittlau: (1) Catharina Magdalena, born 24 March 1740, baptized 30 March 1740; (2) Heinrich, born 5 September 1744, baptized 13 September 1744; (3) Anna Elisabetha, born 25 August 1747, baptized 31 August 1747; (4) Anna Margaretha, born 16 January 1750, baptized 22 January 1750; and (5) Georg, born 26 May 1752, baptized 31 May 1752.
Heinrich Schneider, his wife Susanna Engel, and children (Johann Heinrich, age 27; Elisabeth, age 25; Anna Margaretha, age 22; Georg Heinrich, age 20) are recorded on a 1773 list of Pobochnaya settlers (No. 17).
Heinrich Schneider and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Pobochnaya in Household No. Pb11.
Georg Schneider and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Pobochnaya in Household No. Pb09.
(2) Georg Ernst Schneider, son of Johann Conrad Schneider & Anna Elisabeth Semmel, was born in Niedermittlau on 26 October 1739 and baptized there on 1 November 1739. Anna Maria Schneider, daughter of Georg Schneider & Susanna Gerhardt, was born in Niedermittlau on 31 December 1744 and baptized there on 3 January 1745.
Georg Ernst Schneider and Anna Maria Schneider married in Niedermittlau on 5 January 1764. The baptisms of two children are recorded in the Niedermittlau parish records: (1) Jost Heinrich, born 10 October 1764, baptized 14 October 1764; and (2) Wilhelm, born 27 January 1767, baptized 30 January 1767.
Georg Ernst Schneider, his wife Anna Maria Schneider, and sons (Jost Heinrich, age 8; Wilhelm, age 6) are recorded on a 1773 list of Pobochnaya settlers (No. 6).
In 1774, this Schneider family relocated to the colony of Kolb.
Anna Maria Schneider, widow of Ernst Schneider, and her family are recorded on the 1798 census of Kolb in Household No. Ko18.
(3) Georg Schneider and his wife Susanna Gerhardt are recorded on a 1773 list of Pobochnaya settlers (No. 7). Their daughter [the above referenced Anna Maria Schneider] had married the above referenced Georg Ernst Schneider on 5 January 1764 in Niedermittlau.
Since he came to Russia with his daughter, there are no known surviving male lines of this Georg Schneider line among the Volga German colonies.
- 1773 Pobochnaya Census (Nos. 6, 7, 17).
- Idt, Andreas and Georg Rauschenbach. Einige Kapitel aus der Geschichte des Kolonisationsprojekts von Katharina II. 1763-1775 (Moscow: Andreas Idt, Georg Rauschenbach, 2021): 391, 392, 407-408.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ko18, Pb09, Pb11.
- Parish register of Niedermittlau.