Johann Nikolaus Scholl was born 1 October 1729 in Höchst im Odenwald, southeast of Darmstadt. He married Anna Barbara Hofferber, daughter of Georg Philipp Hofferber & Anna Clara Kopp. Anna Barbara had been born on 27 August 1728 and baptized the same day in Höchst. They have 4 known children: (1) Johann Friedrich, born 11 February 1755; (2) Johann Anton, born 20 October 1756, (3) Johann Georg, born 14 September 1762, and (4) Maria Elisabeth, born 10 November 1762.
The family immigrated to Russia along with many families from Höchst, arriving from Lübeck at the port in Oranienbaum aboard the Russian galliot Citadel on 13 September 1766. The father of the family, Johann Nikolaus, died during the journey from Oranienbaum to Saratov. Widow Anna Barbara remarried to Friedrich Walter, and settled in the Volga German colony of Frank on 1 September 1767. They are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 88.
Son Johann Friedrich Scholl is recorded in Frank on the 1798 Census in Household No. Fk120.
The death of [Johann] Friedrich Scholl in 1800 is recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 120.
Peter Scholl, son of Johann Friedrich Scholl, and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Frank in Household No. 295.
Gottlieb Scholl, son of Peter Scholl, and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Walter in Household No. 242.
Gottlieb Scholl, son of Peter Scholl, and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Hoffental.
Konrad Scholl, son of Johann Friedrich Scholl, and his family are recorded on the 1834 census of Paulskaya in Household No. 99. The death of Konrad is recorded there in 1827.
- 1811 Frank Census (Household No. 120).
- 1834 Frank Census (Household No. 295).
- 1834 Paulskaya Census (Household No. 99).
- 1857 Hoffental Census.
- 1857 Walter Census (Household No. 242).
- Gieg, Ella. Auswanderung aus dem Odenwaldkreis Band 5 (Lutzelbach, Germany: Gieg, 1988): 262.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk120.
- Parish records of Höchst-im-Odenwald (LDS Films #1193268 and #1193269).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 432.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): 322.