Johann Wendel Schwann, son of Caspar Schwann & Ottilia Vogler, was born in Schriesheim on 8 August 1739.
He immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein), arriving in Fridericia on 2 November 1759. He married in Fredericia on 14 April 1760 to Anna Barbara Zahn. They were settled in Havredal colony. They are last recorded among the Danish colonies on 26 April 1763.
They joined the migration to Russia and arrived in Messer on 7 July 1766. They are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 23.
In 1790, Wendel Schwan and his family moved from Messer to Franzosen.
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-1537.
- Lang, Gerhard. German Colonists of Denmark on the Volga.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fz15, Fz37, Fz44, Mv1719.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 136.
- Schuhmann, Karl. Familienbuch Schriesheim: 1650-1900 (Schriesheim, Germany: Odenwaldklub Schriesheim, 2004): #9228.