Jacob Späth, son of Johann Jacob & Anna Margareatha Späth, married Maria Catharina Krikau, daughter of Philipp Jacob & Maria Christina Krikau [see Krikau family]. They came from Wolfenhausen in the Runkel region. The baptisms of three children of their children are recorded in the Wolfenhausen parish register: (1) Philipp Jacob, baptized 13 July 1755; (2) Johann Anton, baptized 15 June 1757; and (3) Johann Wilhelm, baptized 30 May 1760.
Jakob Späth, a farmer, his wife Maria Katharina, and children (Johann Dinges [sic], age 4; Johann Wilhelm, age 1½) immigrated to Denmark (Schleswig-Holstein) arriving in Flensburg on 19 September 1761. The death of Phillip Jacob, age 6, was recorded on 6 November 1761 in Översee Parish, Schleswig-Flensburg.
The baptisms of two additional children are recorded in Danish records in the parish of Jörl: (1) Julianna Catharina, baptized 27 February 1763; and (2) Maria Margaretha, baptized 5 August 1764.
They were dismissed from the Danish colonies on 24 April 1765 and joined the migration to Russia.
Jakob Späth, his wife Maria Katharina, and children (Johann Dinges, age 10; Johann Wilhelm, age 8; Julianna, age 4; Maria Margaretha, age 3; Johann Jakob, age 1) are recorded on the 1767 census of Balzer in Household No. 5. They had settled in Balzer on 28 March 1766.
In 1798, Christian Späth moved from Balzer to Bangert.
Johann Wilhelm Späth and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Bangert in Household No. Bg01. Christian Späth from Anton and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Bangert in Household No. Bg30 along with a note that he is working in Pokrovsk [Engels].
Johann Wilhelm Späth and his family are recorded on the 1811 census of Bangert in Household No. 1. Christian Späth and his family are recorded on the 1811 census of Bangert in Household No. 29.
The death of Johann Wilhelm Späth in 1821 is recorded on the 1834 census of Bangert in Household No. 20.
The 1767 census records that Jakob Späth came from the German region of Runkel. The Eichhorns record that Jakob Späth came from "Grafschaft Wiederunckel, Herrschaft vonder Graf von Wiede-Runckel."
- 1811 Bangert Census (Households No. 1, 29).
- 1834 Bangert Census (Households No. 20, 31, 39, 41, 48).
- Eichhorn, Alexander, Jacob & Mary Eichhorn. The Immigration of German Colonists to Denmark and Their Subsequent Emigration to Russia in the Years 1759-1766 (Deiningen, Germany: Drukerei und Verlag Steinmeier GmbH & Co. Kg, 2012): B-1611.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bg01, Bg30, Bz030, Bz064, Bz070, Bz085, Mv0098.
- Parish register of Jörl.
- Parish register of Översee.
- Parish register of Wolfenhausen (LDS Film #1476755).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 72.