Uhrich / Urich / Urig (Frank & Schwab)
There are a couple of Uhrich families from Groß-Umstadt that immigrated to Russia:
(1) Johann Bernhard Urig (Uhrich), son of Bernhardt Urig & Anna Margaretha Weber, was born 26 January 1748 in Groß-Umstadt.
He arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard the galliot Johannes under the command of Skipper Stahl along with his sister Maria Katharina and her husband Konrad Grass.
Johann Conrad Grass, his wife Cathrina, and brother-in-law Bernhard Uhlrich [sic] (age 18) are recorded on the list of colonists being transported from St. Petersburg to Saratov in 1767.
Johann Bernhard Urich settled in Frank on 1 September 1767 and is recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 117.
Bernhard Uhrig and his family are recorded on the 1798 census of Frank in Household No. Fk055.
The death of Bernhard Uhrich in 1807 is recorded on the 1811 census of Frank in Household No. 55.
(2) Johann Friedrich Uhrich, a son of Johannes Uhrich & Anna Justina Weber, was born on 12 February 1736, and baptized on 14 February 1736 in the Evangelical Reformed church in Groß-Umstadt. Johann Friedrich married to Anna Barbara (surname unknown), and they immigrated to Russia, along with his mother Anna Justina.
Friedrich Uhrich, a farmer, his wife Anna, and mother Anna arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 31 July 1766 aboard a Russian ship under the command of Lieutenant Samuel Gibbs.
Johann Friedrich Uhrich and his wife arrived in the Volga German colony of Schwab on 12 September 1767, and are recorded there on the 1767 census in Household No. 33.
Widow Anna Barbara & son Johann Heinrich are still living in Schwab at the time of the 1798 census, recorded in Household No. Sb36.
Surname spellings used by the descendants of this family include Uhrich, Urich, and Urig.
- 1811 Frank Census (Household No. 55).
- 1857 Friedenberg Census.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Fk055, Sb36.
- Parish records of Gross-Umstadt (LDS Film No. 1340315).
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Der Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 439.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Nordost-Institut, 2008): 134.
- Pleve, Igor. List of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #2846, #6360.
- Pleve, Igor. Uhrich Chart.
- Rauschenbach, Georg. Deutsche Kolonisten auf dem Weg von St. Petersburg nach Saratow: Transportlisten von 1766-1767 (Moscow: G.V. Rauschenbach, 2017): #7578-7580.
Entry from Oranienbaum passenger list recording Friedrich Uhrich, his wife, and mother.
Source: Brent Mai.