The 1767 census of Walter records that the Vogel family came from the German village of Gelnhaar. Further research revealed that they actually came from the village of Wenings, a few kilometers northeast of Gelnhaar.
Johann Adam Vogel, son of Johannes & Anna Juliana Vogel, was baptized in Wenings on 23 September 1734. Juliana Ritzel, daughter of Joachim Ritzel and Elisabetha Margaretha Vogel, was born 8 November 1739 and baptized 9 November 1739 in Wenings. Johann Adam and Juliana married in Wenings on 14 March 1759. The baptisms of five children were recorded in the Wenings parish register: (1) Barbara Elisabeth, born 16 November 1759, baptized 19 November 1759; (2) Lisa Margaretha, born 6 March 1761, baptized 8 March 1761; (3) Heinrich Peter, born 16 March 1762, baptized 17 March 1762; (4) Johann Heinrich, born 19 December 1763, baptized 20 December 1763; and (5) Johann Georg, born 10 January 1766, baptized 12 January 1766.
Johann Adam Vogel and his family arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 15 September 1766 aboard the snow-brig Die Frau Dietrika with the skipper Joachim Friedrich Luhn at the helm.
The parents and two children (Barbara and Georg) settled in the Volga German colony of Walter on 25 August 1767 and are recorded there on the 1767 Census in Household No. 59. It is presumed that the other two children died in route from Oranienbaum to the Volga colonies.
In 1795, Georg Adam Vogel moved from Walter to Kolb.
Adam Vogel and his family are recorded on the 1811 census of Walter in Household No. 50.
Heinrich Vogel, son of Adam Vogel, is recorded on the 1811 census of Walter in Household No. 50 along with a note that he relocated to the colony of Dietel in 1801.
The death of Heinrich Vogel from Walter in 1810 is recorded on the 1811 census of Dietel in Household No. 74 along with a note that he had arrived in Dietel from Walter in 1801.
Some records have this surname recorded as Fogal.
- 1811 Dietel Census (Household No. 74).
- 1811 Walter Census (Household No. 50).
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Ko21, Wt050, Wt051, Wt052, Mv2960.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 4 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2008): 308.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #6043.