Zieg (Balzer & Messer)
Johann Georg Zieg, son of Johann Caspar & Catharina Zieg, was baptized in Hüttengesäß on 28 December 1739. He married in nearby Eckartshausen on 5 March 1766 to Catharina, the daughter of Johann Georg & Margaretha Bohn. She was baptized in Eckartshausen on 10 September 1747. This couple is recorded on the 1767 Census of Messer in Household No. 73, having arrived there on 18 June 1767.
Kaspar Zieg, son of Johann Caspar & Anna Margaretha Zieg, was baptized in Hüttengesäß on 12 July 1744. He married Catharina Schibel in Eckartshausen on 5 March 1766, the same day as Johann Georg Zieg married his bride. This couple is recorded on the 1767 Census of Messer in Household No. 71, having arrived there on 18 June 1767.
Johann Georg & Kaspar Zieg and their families arrived together from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 4 July 1766 aboard the English frigate Love & Unity under the command of Skipper Thomas Fairfax.
Philipp Zieg, son of Johann Caspar & Catharina Zieg, was baptized in Hüttengesäß on 14 December 1730. He married there on 22 February 1764 to Magdalena, daughter of Henrich Horr. She was baptized in Hüttengesäß on 4 September 1741. They are recorded (along with Philipps mother, Catharina Kuhn who was baptized in Hüttengesäß on 14 August 1711) in Household No. 6 of the 1767 census of Balzer. They had arrived in Balzer on 1 July 1767.
Philipp Zieg and his family (including his mother Katharina) arrived from Lübeck at the port of Oranienbaum on 8 August 1766.
Johannes Zieg from Balzer and his family are recorded on the 1857 census of Wiesenmüller.
- 1857 Wiesenmüller Census.
- Eckartshausen Parish Records (LDS Intl Film #1201827).
- Hüttengesäß Parish Records.
- Bonner, Wayne H. Volga German Settlers Identified in Isenburg and Other German Church Records Part I (Gardena, CA: Wayne Bonner, 2007): 11, 19, 45.
- Mai, Brent Alan. 1798 Census of the German Colonies along the Volga: Economy, Population, and Agriculture (Lincoln, NE: American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, 1999): Bz004, Ms16.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 1 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 1999): 73.
- Pleve, Igor. Einwanderung in das Wolgagebiet, 1764-1767 Band 3 (Göttingen: Göttinger Arbeitskreis, 2005): 148-149.
- Pleve, Igor. Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766: Reports by Ivan Kulberg (Saratov: Saratov State Technical University, 2010): #1785, #1786, #3019.